CEPA is excited to open the search for qualified candidates to join our team as the Director of Academics and Development. The position is full-time and based in Ingersheim, near Stuttgart, Germany.
As our Director of Academics and Development, you are a highly knowledgeable and capable leader in a senior management role. You will take a hands-on approach to providing leadership and oversight of all study abroad programs and partnerships.
You will report to the Executive Director and work closely with the University Relations and Operations team members.
You are a creative and committed leader who can advance CEPA’s academic and cultural programs and is dedicated to study abroad and environmentally sustainable initiatives. This is an exciting opportunity to become part of a dynamic and vibrant organization, with a forward-thinking team and a broad network of long-standing, personal partnerships with university and study abroad professionals, mainly in North America.
The position includes occasional travel* to our study center in Strasbourg, France, and hosting our North American partners during their familiarization trips in Europe. It also includes periodic facilitation of faculty seminars, workshops, webinars, and international travel to represent CEPA at annual conferences in the US. (*currently remote, until the return of international travel)
- Provide leadership in a highly collaborative and supportive manner that promotes an atmosphere of collegiality and accountability for continuous program development.
- Ensure the ongoing development of quality academics and positive participant experience in all CEPA study abroad programs; including faculty-led group programs, semester, and summer programs for individual students, and CEPA’s portfolio of virtual experiences.
- Cultivate existing partnerships and build new professional relationships with university partners and increase CEPA’s visibility in the field of international education.
- Be a point of contact for CEPA partners, particularly where these relate to academic matters.
- Work with staff, faculty, and administrators from CEPA’s partner network to develop, review, and evaluate study abroad activities.
- Provide leadership in planning, conceptualizing, and implementing new and custom programs for faculty and students that reflect the learning outcomes and goals of the faculty leaders.
- Serve as a liaison to CEPA Foundation’s Academic Advisory Board.
- Stay up to date on current literature and trends in higher education/international education and identify relevant issues and development opportunities for CEPA.
- Increase and promote CEPA’s relationships with relevant international organizations and associations.
Please note that the above list of responsibilities is not comprehensive but generally demonstrates the areas of responsibility.
Education and Experience
Master’s degree or higher and at least 5 years of experience in higher education directly related to international education and study abroad development and programming required. Experience managing professional staff. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Background in teaching, curriculum development, experiential education, and/or intercultural cross-cultural exchange.
- Knowledge of North American higher education systems, current trends, and best practices in study abroad, and international education.
- Experience developing, implementing, and evaluating study abroad programs for North American students.
- An advanced level of both fluent English and German skills both oral and written to enable effective communications with those whose primary language is English.
- Excellent written, presentation, interpersonal, business, and negotiating skills.
- Demonstrated ability to:
- establish priorities, manage shifting priorities, and handle numerous time-sensitive projects with multiple deadlines.
- make strategic decisions.
- manage conflict and solve problems.
- work with professional colleagues with diplomacy and tactfulness while maintaining effective collaboration, trust, teamwork, and respect.
- provide academic, managerial, and motivational leadership while fostering a positive work environment.
- generate and foster innovative and creative ideas.
- Computer proficiency with skill in using Microsoft 365, experience with social media, website maintenance, and mailchimp is advantage
- Will travel locally and/or internationally, with occasional overnight travel.
- Experience with complex and varied budgetary models and working with foreign currencies develop and manage budgets.
- Experience with health, safety, international risk mitigation and crisis management.
STARTING DATE: Late Fall 2021